Between 07 and 11 March 2017, in the region of 150 women writers took part in Women Aloud NI 2017, an initiative to raise the profile of the women’s writing scene in Northern Ireland. Over the course of three days, women’s writing – and International Women’s Day – was celebrated at 20 events: 12 in Northern Ireland and 6 in Dublin [including the hugely successful #WomenXBorders events at the Irish Writers Centre]. There were also 2 special events this year: a well-supported women’s poetry competition run by Waterstones Coleraine and an in-train recital on the Translink NI Enterprise service between Belfast and Dublin!
We’d like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who helped to make Women Aloud NI 2017 successful :
- The writers who took part
- The venues who hosted our events
- The audiences who came along to listen
- The Irish Writers Centre in Dublin who partnered with us for #WomenXBorders
- The Arts Council of Northern Ireland, the National Lottery and Words Ireland who made our trip to Dublin possible
- The friendly folk at Translink NI who helped keep our in-train recital ‘on track’ 😉
- The publishing community – and broader creative community – who offered us enthusiastic encouragement
- Local press and media who helped us to spread the word
- Everyone who shared news about our events on social media
This year, we’ve managed to capture the energy of our events on film . Scroll down to watch highlights from our Belfast literary flash mob, some of our ‘best bits’ from our trip to Dublin and the literary soundscape we created with our fellow writers from the South.
See you at Women Aloud NI 2018!