On 08 March 2016, International Women’s Day, 130 women writers took part in Women Aloud NI 2016, an initiative to raise the profile of the women’s writing scene in Northern Ireland. On that day, women’s writing was celebrated in fifteen venues across Northern Ireland [and in two venues outside Northern Ireland].
We’d like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who helped to make Women Aloud NI 2016 successful :
- The writers who took part
- The venues who hosted our events
- The audiences who came along to listen
- The publishing community – and broader creative community – who offered us enthusiastic encouragement
- Local press and media who helped us to spread the word
- Everyone who shared news about our events on social media
We’ve got lots of images to sort through, and we’ll be creating a gallery for the website over the coming weeks. In the meantime, here are two little somethings to give you a flavour of Women Aloud NI 2016.
Here’s a recording of the mass reading that took place at the end of the evening in No Alibis bookshop, Belfast [27 writers took part in this event ] :
And here’s a collage capturing the spirit of some of the Women Aloud NI 2016 events. [With thanks to Maria McManus for permission to share the black-and-white image taken at No Alibis].